- Peter was born in South Africa and has qualifications in commerce, law and business administration. He has held senior management positions at a product, sales, state, regional and general management level.
- In 1999 he established his own company and was instrumental in providing consulting services to a number of blue chip companies, before he was appointed CEO of Australian Financial Services Limited (AFS).
- Under his leadership AFS grew from approximately 30 practices to become one of the largest and most profitable independently owned dealer groups in the market.
- Following his departure from AFS in early 2013, Peter acquired The Financial Link Group which was the nucleus to the formation of the new non-aligned Beacon Group that now has over 200 authorised representatives
- Peter serves as Managing Director of Beacon Financial and is a Director of Linchpin Capital Group Limited.
- Peter is based in Melbourne.
Peter Johnston started his financial services industry career in 1979 after deciding not to pursue an education/teaching path. Whilst playing AFL with Glenelg in the SA NFL he was approached by Scottish Amicable who had been successfully operating investment and insurance business through the Melbourne based VFL clubs.
In 1980 Peter was a foundation partner of Goldsborough Financial Services, an Adelaide based practice specialising in Retirement strategies where he gave advice for 20 years and the practice still operates today.
In 1998 he established the AIOFP after being frustrated with the other options in the market place and saw a need to differentiate independently owned advice practices from the institutionally aligned. Peter holds a Diploma of Teaching, Batchelor of Education, Diploma of Financial Services and an Advanced Certificate for Marketing Planning.
Non Executive Director
- Member Protection Committee
- Small Practice Committee
- Audit Committee
Executive Chair – Pinn Deavin Group (www.pindeavin.com.au)
- Pinn Deavin & Co – Business Advisory Services
- Pinn Deavin Securities Pty Ltd – AFSL
Since 1979 engaged in direct business development and advising on strategic issues in a range of business enterprises including but not limited to retail financial services, insurance underwriting, transport, real estate, building services and international procurement and distribution.
- Registered Company Auditor
- Chartered Accountant
- Certified Practicing Accounting
- Authorised Trust Account Examiner (NSW Law Society)
- Registered Tax Agent
- SMSF Auditor
Manager Member Services
- February 2014 appointed AIOFP, Manager Member Services
- April 2010 to July 2013 – Manager Financial Planning, Local Super/ Statewide Super (SA)
- May 2000 to March 2010 – Senior Planner/Regional Manager, Industry Fund Services (SA/NT)
- September 1997 to May 2000 – Financial Planner, Goldsborough Financial Services (SA)
- Previously senior union official in white collar unions in both SA and NSW